I make my gumbo a little different every time I fix it. You can make this soup in a stockpot but as a busy college student I don’t have too much time for watching a stove top so I utilize my crock pot whenever I can.
Begin by putting 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the base of your crockpot, (I usually do olive oil but I had some canola oil that was about to go bad in my pantry so I used that instead). Next place the chopped vegetables in the pot.
- 1/2 cup of red cabbage
- 1/4 cup of white or yellow onion
- 1 cup of okra
- 1 large Brandywine or Beefsteak tomato
- 1/4 cup of carrots
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 cans of Swanson low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup of celery (optional)
Top ingredients with seasonings below:
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 2 splashes of Texas Pete*
- 1 teaspoon of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt (regular salt works fine too)
Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours. Serve alone or with brown rice.
TIP: Be aware that cooking times vary with crockpots.